A ‘Universe of Stories’ at the Library this summer
The Greenville-Butler Co. Public Library is preparing for an eventful summer of free programming for families to take advantage of.
This year, the theme is “Alabama: A Universe of Stories,” in honor of the state’s 200th birthday. The library’s Summer Reading Program will start in July, and will run four weeks, from July 10 to July 31. Children who have completed kindergarten through 2nd grade will meet on Wednesdays at 10 a.m. Children who have completed 3rd grade through 5th grade will meet on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. Sessions will last approximately 45 minutes and include reading, storytelling, crafts, and snacks.
Local elementary school teacher Krystal Thagard is program coordinator. Parents may register their children in the library at the Circulation Desk prior to the start of the program.
Also, for the first time, the library has partnered with Snapology of the River Region to provide a STEM-based LEGO and Robotics program starting July 11. Classes will begin at 10 a.m. and will be held every Thursday for four weeks. The program is for 2nd grade through 8th grade and available spots are limited. Parents should sign their children up early for this program, said Library Director Kevin Pearcey.
Other special programs this summer include:
- Trolls Summer Reading Kickoff Party, Saturday, June 8: The Greenville-Butler Co. Public Library’s 2nd Trolls Party returns just in time for summer. Come enjoy Trolls-inspired food, music, and face painting provided by Abrakadoodle. Starts @ 11 a.m.
- Osborn’s Universe of Stories Magic Show, Tuesday, June 11: Dr. Darrell Osborn visits the Greenville-Butler Co. Public Library to perform a Magical “Mad” Scientist reading show designed to teach kids about the importance of reading and to motivate and inspire them to believe in themselves! Dr. Osborn is well-known throughout Alabama and the southeast for his programs, which are entertaining and educational and include magic and audience interaction. For ages 5+. Free for everyone! Starts @ 2 p.m.
- Stories in the Stars, Monday, June 17: Soar through the stars in this compilation of Greek Myths at the Greenville-Butler Co. Public Library! Travel the night sky and explore various constellations and legends about why they are in the sky. Audiences will delight in learning stories of the wind, seasons, sun, and moon. This new play is designed specifically for the Summer Reading theme “A Universe of Stories.” Presented by the renowned traveling Hampstead Stage Co. Starts at 2 p.m. For ages 5+
- The Story Ship with Sean Driscoll, Thursday, June 27: A fast-paced high energy show that combines 3D holograms, animation, music, gaming and comedy theater as The Story Ship presents “Aliens Alive: A Space Rescue Mission” at the Greenville-Butler Co. Public Library. Starts at 3 p.m.
- Bond’s Science Guys, Tuesday, July 9: The Science Guys’ 2019 Summer Reading program is all about the Universe and how we explore it! Dozens of interactive experiments about life in space, rocket propulsion, centrifugal force, planets and orbits. Learn about the Solar System with everyone’s favorite, the Hoberman Sphere! For all ages. Starts at 2 p.m.
- Star Wars Day, Saturday, Aug. 3: The 7th Annual Star Wars Day returns to the library. Face painting by Abrakadoodle, Star Wars-themed food, fun, and games and great photo opportunities! Starts at 11 a.m.
For questions about these, or any other library programs, please contact the library.
Greenville-Butler Co. Public Library, 309 Fort Dale St., Greenville, AL 36037